The cleanliness of our homes is something that most of us are conscious about. Some indicators that the house is dirty include dusty floors, stained windows and bathroom odour. When these signs are present, we will start to sweep, mop and wipe these places. But how about the appliance that breathes cool air into our living space – the humble air conditioner? Locally known as the aircon, it is a common home appliance that is often taken for granted, until it breaks down or starts leaking. The aircon’s filters, coils and fins require regular maintenance and cleaning just like any other electrical appliance.
When To Clean Your Aircon
How frequent your aircon unit needs cleaning depends on multiple factors. The geography of Singapore is such that most buildings are high rise and packed closely together due to the scarcity of land in our little red dot. The presence of highways and industrial areas nearby also leaves more dust airborne as compared to homes in sub-urban or rural areas. In general, factors that you should consider when deciding on when to service your aircon include:
- How often the aircon is used. The rule of thumb is: if it is used as much as your fan, it probably needs to be cleaned as often too.
- Location of your home/office. If your place is surrounded by busy roads you will notice that dust builds up much quicker on your furniture as compared to living in the outskirts.
- Maintenance and repair intervals. Every time your aircon is serviced, the technicians will likely clean the aircon as well. Thus regular servicing is important.
- When the air conditioner is not performing like it used to. As dust accumulates in the filters, it will require more power to move the air. This may cause your electric bill to rise or the air produced will feel less cold.
- If you have pets at home that constantly shed fur.
- If you tend to fall sick very often, suffer from respiratory problems (eg. asthma), chronic coughing, or sinus related issues. It could be caused by the allergens, mould, bacteria and germs from your dirty air conditioner.
The Importance Of Regular Aircon Servicing And Cleaning
Air quality in our environment is very important to our well being. The filters in the aircon should be cleaned regularly. A clogged and dirty filter not only decreases the unit’s efficiency but puts the inhabitant’s health at risk. Besides, clogged filters may become mouldy and breed bacteria due to the humidity in our local climate. Poor air quality may lead to medical conditions like asthma, sinus and allergies.
Central air conditioners or cool air circulation systems may have the filters located somewhere along the duct or covered above the ceiling which may be harder to reach. Because of their inaccessibility, we tend to overlook the need to maintain them. Certain filters are reusable but some need to be replaced regularly. Clean air is important especially in places where we spend most of our time in – our homes and offices.
Let The Professionals Handle The Work!
Save yourself the time and trouble of cleaning those hard to reach places. Call us now for professional service and advice related to the cleaning and maintenance of your aircon. Parts that need cleaning may include the filter, fan, cooling coil and evaporator fins. The cleanliness of these components will ensure your air conditioner is functioning well at all times.
Our aircon experts can also advise if a chemical wash is necessary for air conditioning units that are too dirty or have been dormant for a long time. Our pros are equipped with the appropriate tools and chemicals to carry out thorough cleaning of your air conditioner. So for the sake of your family and staff’s health, make sure the air circulating in your surrounding environment is as clean as it should be. Do not hesitate to contact us for any enquiries related to aircon cleaning and maintenance.